What Should I Do If I Feel My Criminal Defense Attorney Is Not Representing Me Adequately?

If you feel that your criminal defense attorney is not representing you adequately, there are a few steps you can take. First, report your complaint to the organization that regulates legal licensing in your state. This is usually the disciplinary board of the highest court in your state, or the state bar association. If your lawyer is not responding to your communication attempts, send a formal certified letter to their office expressing your concerns.

You can also consider hiring a new lawyer if you feel that your current one is not doing their job correctly. It is important to remember that you have the right to expect competent legal representation from your lawyer. If you suspect negligence or incompetence, you may be able to file a civil lawsuit for legal malpractice. Before paying any legal bills, make sure that they contain details about how your money is being spent and that the account numbers are accurate.

If you are unsatisfied with the results of your case, consider consulting with another attorney who may be able to help you get a better outcome. If it is determined that your lawyer has acted inappropriately, they may face disciplinary measures such as suspension, censure or reprimand, or disqualification from practicing law. It is important to remember that the information provided on this site does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Be sure to compare your bill with the initial fee agreement that you and your lawyer signed together at the beginning of your representation.

Dawn Launiere
Dawn Launiere

Amateur beer evangelist. Professional bacon aficionado. Total social media maven. Typical travel fan. Social media junkie.